Sunday, December 30, 2007

There is hope!

First of all, I'd like to offer my thanks for the kind remarks as well as the gestures of support. It was / is quite a difficult thing for me to open the book and openly express my feelings and personal frustrations, however, I have found that so doing has made it possible for me to get the ball rolling.
Items to update...
Well...good news...This morning I plopped myself upon the weighing plate (commonly referred to as the scale) and felt an exuberant sigh of releif as I glanced at the reading. 298 lbs it read. I know, one can ask the question why is a guy so filled with glee to see that he wieghs in at a lofty 298? Well, it is easier to understand when one realizes that that same guy weighed in on the day after Christmas at 302 lbs. The thing that I can do now is draw the line in the sand, or better yet, erect a gargatuan concrete wall and essentially close the door on ever weighing it at three bills again. Next milestone is to break the 290 lb barrier, something that I haven't done for probably a year. I can attribute my recent 4 lb weight loss to feeling better about myself (a result of the replies I received to my first post) and making a simple lifestyle change or two (thanks Lori). I will continue to chart out my map to success and make weekly posts (Sunday) and report on the progress. I will likely take another photo and post measurements on a monthly basis.
After some serious consideration I have decided to etch my ultimate weight loss goal at 215 lbs. It represents a number that can actually be acheived, in fact, in 2001 I slimmed up to 218 lbs and I graduated high school weighing in at 205 lbs. That means I have to lose a total of 87 lbs with only 83 more to go.
Also, I am honing in on the event that I would like to participate in sometime this summer. An event that would require me to much more fit that I am today. One option is to go on a multi-day mountain biking trip like the ones offered by www.bikerpelli.com (see Kokopelli Trail, Vedauwoo Jack, or Ride the Divide (probably my favorite)). Another option is to enter a mountain bike race like one shown on www.intermountaincup.com/race . Option #3 would be to create my own mountain biking tour and have family and friends participate with me. Gary even mentioned some type of mini triathalon. I am soliciting input to see if anyone is interested in participating in any (or all) of these options.

Well, thanks again for the support. Seizure later.

5 comments:

Gary said...

Hey Rich,

Your words have inspired me and I'm sure glad we have you in our family. Adrien and I have been talking about the same theme you bring up. We are amazing human beings that have agency and that's a power God gave us for our benefit. However, the natural (Lazy)man takes over and we fall into the ruts of lethargy (had to look this def. up : a state of sluggishness, inactivity and apathy). Whether it be gaining weight or simply not reading our scriptures it's the same we let something else act on us rather than us take charge and actually CHANGE. Which we luckily can do, all of us have seen it in ourselves at one point or someone else. Anyway, I want to change and I want to be a part of this and since there are strength in numbers, we all should be together on this. Two things that may be possible goals to work towards. 1. A triathalon (Bike 13 miles, run 2.5 and swim 750 meters) at Jordanelle or Burley (around August). We could all do it together and there is a competitive aspect to it as well. 2. Since we probably won't go out to Nigeria to pick up mom and dad from there mission, we could run and swim there and back by the time they come back. I'll get the exact miles and maybe we can all turn in our miles at the end of each week. Just a few ideas, let me know what you think or would like to add. This is our life, let's live it to the fullest.

Okay so it's approx. 7,500 miles from Utah to Aba, Nigeria. That means if 8 of us are in on participating then we each have to do 9.5 miles per week for 100 weeks (the 23 months mom and dad will be gone). This could be a good way of having everyone stay on top of exercising and checking this blogspot out on a regular basis if everyone reports their mileage each week and how they did it (run, walk, or swim). Let me know if all 8 of us are in on it.

PS- I'm proud of you Rich. I think this will also help us all keep close to each other while mom and pops are gone. You rock!!! Keep it up.

Bill H. said...

Rich - Keep up the good work. I am so excited to see that some of your goals involve biking. Biking is a great way to lose weight and get in shape.
I will be keeping up with your success over at shrinkingcyclist.com and hope to feature your success story one day.
In the meantime - keep on keeping on.

Emily said...

Congrats on the 4 lbs!

I think Gary's idea is a great one...Let us know what you decide to do.

Emily

Mishy said...

GO RICHARD!
You are an awesome uncle! Good luck with all your troubles! Be happy!
Love:
Michelle

Anonymous said...

good luck richard your the best uncle ever good luck i know you can do it tell your fam. Hi
-bryce